DentistLink is a free referral service in Washington State to find dental resources. Our team can connect you to dentists that accept Apple Health—and we help help those without insurance.
Step 1: Receive or Request Referral
There are three ways to get connected to a DentistLink referral specialist:
- Self-referral: This is the most common method with DentistLink. Anyone can simply call or text our referral team at 844-888-5465 or fill out our form online at dentistlink.org.
- Doctor referral: If your doctor wants to connect you to dental care, they will send us a referral with your information, and one of our referral specialists will reach out to you.
- Client referral: If you’re working with a community-based organization or a care coordinator who wants to connect you to dental care, they will send us a referral with your information, and one of our referral specialists will reach out to you.
Regardless of how we receive the referral, a DentistLink referral specialist will reach out via phone or text, whichever you prefer. The referral specialist will ask a few questions related to your age, location, and the nature of your dental needs. Then, we will use our up-to-date list of Apple Health dental providers and sliding-scale dentists to connect you with a dental provider that fits your needs.
Interpretation services are available when speaking with a referral specialist. Hablamos Español.
Step 2: Schedule Your Appointment
Now that you have a referral to a dentist, it’s time to schedule your appointment! Call the office number provided by the referral specialist and schedule an appointment.
Each dental office scheduling process may vary, but they’ll likely ask the following questions:
- Do you have any concerns with your teeth or oral health?
- What insurance do you have? (see below)
- COVID-19 screening questions (see below)
If you have Apple Health, they will likely ask for the information on your ProviderOne services card. If you do not have dental insurance, the DentistLink referral specialist will have referred you to a dental office that offers sliding-scale services. Those offices may ask for proof of income, either when you are scheduling or when you arrive at your appointment.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they’ll likely ask or send you basic health screening questions to make sure you are healthy and ready for an appointment. Dental offices will inform you about the specific steps they are taking to keep you safe from COVID-19.
Here are some additional questions for you to ask when scheduling your appointment so that you know what to expect.
- What should I do when I arrive for my appointment?
- How will the dental appointment be different from previous appointments?
- Where should I wait if I am bringing my family member to an appointment?
This DentistLink flyer will help answer questions you may have about visiting the dentist and COVID-19:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
Step 3: Visit the Dentist for Your Appointment
Visiting the dentist can be stressful. Thankfully, DentistLink referral specialists can connect you to additional assistance like transportation or childcare. We can also offer advice and tips if you experience dental anxiety or have any other worries about the dentist. Be sure to bring up these additional needs or concerns during the referral process.
After your appointment, the front desk staff will help you with insurance and payment. If you have insurance, including Apple Health, don’t forget to bring your insurance services card with you. Many dental treatments for both children and adults are covered by Apple Health.
If you don’t have insurance, the dental office may offer dental treatment at a sliding-fee scale. You may be asked to provide proof of income if you don’t have insurance.
During the referral process, the referral specialist will let you know what to generally expect based on your insurance status.
Step 4: Maintain Routine Dental Appointments
Routine visits to the dentists (at least once a year) help keep our mouths and whole bodies healthy. Your dentist can help detect cavities or other issues before they get bad, helping to prevent pain and save you money.
Need another referral? If you are unsatisfied with or having trouble with the dental referrals provided to you, DentistLink has a large list of available dentists and can usually find another dentist to better fit your needs. Just give us a call or text us, and we can send you a referral to a new location.